Pelvic pain is becoming more common and affects 1 in 8 women. Pelvic pain is described as pain between the belly button and thigh region and can vary in severity and duration. The kind of pain felt differs from patient to patient. Often patients may feel one or more type of pain including dull pain, sharp pain, shooting pain, burning sensations, pressure, throbbing pain, and discomfort.
Common causes of pelvic pain:
- Interstitial cystitis
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Vulvodynia (pain at the vaginal opening)
- Inflammatory conditions
- Ovulation and/or menstruation
Finding the cause of pelvic pain is important but is often difficult. For management of pelvic pain, Potter’s House Apothecary offers a wide range of treatment options that can help reduce the severity of symptoms. Customized treatment options include: creams that are applied topically, suppositories for rectal or vaginal insertion, injectables, and oral formulations.
Medications used in these formulas are specific to your needs. Here are some examples of commonly used options.
- Gabapentin (nerve related pain)
- Amitriptyline (nerve related pain)
- Ketamine (strong pain reliever)
- Baclofen (muscle relaxer)
- Diazepam (muscle relaxer, antispasmodic)
- Lidocaine (pain reliever, numbing agent)
- Estradiol or DHEA (hormones)
- Hydrocortisone (steroid, anti-inflammatory)
Potter’s House Apothecary also offers professional grade CBD products that may help improve pain associated with the above conditions. Ask our pharmacists what customized treatment options would be recommended for you based on your symptoms.